Sunday Morning Bliss

Prelude

Well, it all started with the Marathon training last year. I had training runs every Sunday for a marathon I had registered. The runs used to start at around 5 in the morning. It means waking up in the wee hours of a holiday, driving for about 20 km(up and down) and then running for around 2.5 hours. So, what bliss in the world are we talking about?

During the 4 hour time frame from around 5-9, I indulge myself in various experiences that forms the essence of the bliss. Running, relaxing at the beach, breakfast after the run and driving. 

Stage 1 - Running

Without a doubt, I can say that running is a passion of mine. Running takes my mind to a different level all together. It gives me so much of peace, clarity of mind, contentment and of course the physical fitness. Put on some music while running and heaven will be in sight. Earlier I used to run a lot, but these days I have reduced the mileage to prevent injuries and to squeeze in more strength training. Still I do at least one long run a week and usually that day is Sunday, provided I'm in Chennai that weekend.

I do my running in the Besant Nagar-Adyar area, with the run starting and ending at Besant Nagar beach (Elliot's beach). People affectionately call Besant Nagar as Bessie. Elliot's beach road is vehicle free on all Sunday mornings, a great initiative by the government. Many activities happen in the road at that time. People jog, run, skate, play badminton and what not. There will be multiple stalls set up on the road like 'The Hindu" reading stall, glucose test stall, kids drawing stall to name a few.

Depending on what distance I plan to run, I time my arrival at Bessie. Anything around 15-20km, I reach by 5.00 AM. I park my car nearby the beach road. The place would be relatively empty at that time but still you can see people walking/running. It would be mostly dark, but the streets in front of the beach will be well lit. Even though I can't see, I can clearly hear the beach waves smashing against the shore. I do my warm up stretches, turn on the phone running app, turn on Fitbit, plugin my headset, start the running playlist of songs and off I go. Roads will be mostly dark, except for some places where there are street lights. First few kilometers are kind of uneasy where the body is getting warmed up and slowly getting into the rhythm.

Once I get into the flow, I switch to fast songs and I start flying. Adrenaline starts kicking in and I get into a different zone. I go on for as long as possible at this pace, till I need a break. Initially I used to carry water with me, but these days I store water in my parked car and do laps such that I time the break at the car. Anyways, after warm up and the initial adrenaline rush, I get into a more steady pace. I get constant feedback from the running app on my pace and the distance I cover.

I mainly run through the Besant Avenue road. Anyone who has been through that road, knows how beautiful of a road it is. Flanked by trees on both sides. Very clean and well maintained. Sunday morning this road will be flooded with runners.

Besant Avenue Road


I end my running at the car parking near the beach. Time now would be around 7.15 - 7.30. Feeling at this stage is contentment. Full of endorphins. It will easily overcome any tiredness because of the running. Time for the next stage.

Stage 2 - Beach

This is the relaxation stage. After ending the run, I change from my running shoes to slippers. Reason: I'm going to the beach and I don't want sand inside my shoes. On the way to the beach I do my post run stretches. Body is a whole lot flexible than usual and I stretch as much as possible, which hurts a bit, but is a feel good in totality.

I walk towards the beach, which is crowded at this moment. People are engaged in all sorts of stuff at the beach. Frisbee, gymnastics, cricket, badminton, playing in the sand, bathing in the sea etc. I will be easily able to absorb their child like state of mind since I have just come back from a similar activity. I feel happy for them and watch them for some time enjoying their sport.

Walking in slippers in sand is difficult. So usually I have it in my hand and walk barefoot. I sit near the shore for some time. If needed I will do some more stretches. I will feel the cool sea breeze flowing onto my face. Some days I get my feet wet in the sea. Water will be pretty cool and it is a nice feeling standing in that water.

After spending some time at the beach, I head back to the car. On the way back, I get a tender cocunut. I will have both the juice and the chunks. Time would be around 7.45 now. I get back to the car and drive to the restaurant for my breakfast.

Vehicle free Beach Road

The beautiful Elliot's beach
(Anyone who would have seen "Nadodikattu" movie can easily recognize the white colored construction in the picture. :))


Stage 3 - Breakfast

I absolutely love breakfast of any cuisine. Be it the Kerala style Appam, Puttu or TamilNadu tiffin or the English breakfast. After the run I usually go to the Sangeetha restaurant at Adyar. I have been a long time fan of this restaurant and been there multiple times. The ambiance, service and the quality/taste are all good here. They have all kinds of tiffin items for breakfast. Depending on how hungry I'm, I will decide the food item. But vada and filter coffee are mandatory. Sipping the filter coffee after the breakfast is a satisfying feel. While waiting for the food, I sync Fitbit with my phone. Some analysis goes into the run that I did before. By the time I start from the restaurant to my apartment, time would be around 8.15.

Adyar Sangeetha


Stage 4 - Driving

Driving is an activity that can be totally relaxing or adrenaline rushing, depending on how and where we drive. And for both of the above experiences, primary condition to satisfy is "No Traffic". Second condition is good road. There shouldn't be other vehicles moving at snail's pace in front of us or honking from behind. Sunday morning is one of those times. And the road I drive through called as Old Mahabalipuram Road(OMR) is definitely a good road.

Actually the first part of Stage 4 happens before Stage 1, when I drive to Bessie from my apartment. That will be around 4.30-4.45 in the morning. I can go full throttle at that time and easily hit top speeds. It is like a nice way to let off the frustrations in life. To crank up the engine to high RPM's and then shifting up the gears, taking the machine to its limits. Yeah, power driving is a great feel. Still I will be careful and slow down at road intersections, because at that time the vehicles don't really check the signal lights.

The part 2 of the Stage 4, is when I come back home after the breakfast. Much more vehicles on the road compared to early morning, but very less compared to week days. Again I can drive at high speeds. The heart rate does go up and so is the adrenaline rush. I get a very good feel of driving my car. 

Old Mahabalipuram Road (OMR)

Conclusion

So yeah. That's about it. Any weekend I'm here in Chennai, I look forward to the Sunday morning bliss. And I hope to continue to do it for as long as I'm here. It has become more of a routine now. 
I don't know if  the experience seems blissful to everyone else. But it's fine. Everyone has their own ways to connect to their blissful self. I just penned my own experience. Thanks for reading and cheers.


Picture credits: Google

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Full Marathon

My Second Full Marathon

ASP.Net Core saves me $4 a month!